Monday, February 15, 2010

Random Valentine's Pictures

You know how some people post crafts on their blog and you're just amazed at their talent and creativity? Um, I'm not one of those. But I do occasionally like to do the crafty project anyway. It's fun and relaxing. I enjoy being surrounded by things that I made. It makes me happy! This was my Valentine's project for this year......


And my wonderfully talented step-mom (who IS one of those crafty people I'm jealous of) made me this super-cute heart garland for my birthday! LOVE it! I found this cute idea here and we kicked our healthy eating habits to the curb for a few days and made these fun little Rice Krispie "ice cream" cones for the Scouts and our school car-pool crew.....
Also Mike's work requested I send in some of my cream-filled cupcakes. His co-workers request them again and again. In the disclosure of being honest I forgot to take a picture before they were all eaten so I lifted this one from Photobucket. Mine were lots cuter, with pink filling, piped decortive chocolate frosting, and valentine's sprinkles!
Creamy Center Cupcakes
1 pkg chocolate cake mix
3/4 c. shortening
2/3 c. confectioners sugar
1 c. marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cans chocolate frosting
(I usually just make homemade)
Prepare and bake cake according to package directions in cupcakes, using paperlined muffin cups. Cool completely.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add marshmallow creme and vanilla (I sometimes add food coloring for a holiday at this point); mix well. Instert a small pastry tip into a pastry bag; fill with cream filling. Insert tip halfway into the center of each cupcake and pipe cream into the cupcake. Frost with chocolate frosting.
For Valentine's morning we had a special breakfast with Overnight Orange Pecan French Toast, hashbrowns, eggs with cheese and ham, fresh fruit and orange juice. The french toast were a huge hit, I got the recipe here at Allrecipes.com.


PECAN FRENCH TOAST
Ingredients
4 eggs
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1 inch slices
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
Directions
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, orange juice, milk, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Place bread slices in a tightly spaced single layer in the bottom of a flat dish or baking pan. Pour milk mixture over bread, cover and refrigerate overnight, turning once.
When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Coat a jelly roll pan, or rimmed baking sheet, evenly with the melted butter. Arrange soaked bread slices in a single layer on pan. Sprinkle evenly with orange peel and pecans.
Bake in preheated oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Check slices during last 10 minutes of baking time to avoid burning.


Adding to all this yumminess Mike got me some TO DIE for homemade toffee from a co-worker who was selling it. Yeah, this week is showing around my waist, but it's been fun!
And this is what I got for Mike......

And the best for last, my sweet little Valentine's boys......

Aren't these guys handsome?

3 comments:

  1. So cute and so much fun! You are a great wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable. I thought those rice krispie ice cream cones were far too cute!!! They were almost too adorable to eat. (Thanks so much, by the way.) Will you please (pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top) post the recipe for your cupcakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your Valentine craft project is darling!

    ReplyDelete