Saturday, January 9, 2010

Secrets I Keep From my Children

1. I actually know I'm being unfair. I don't care. I just want quiet/clean/peace.
2. No, I don't love your brother more than you, but there are times I enjoy his company more.
3. I love you, I love spending time with you, but I still count down the minutes until bedtime.
4. Even though I won't let YOU eat a cookie before dinner, I'll sneak one myself.
5. Yes, Caeden sometimes I do wait for you to be in school to do fun activites.....it's cheaper and easier with one less child.
6. I DO want you to grow up and be great husbands and fathers, but the thought of not being THE woman in your life sometimes breaks my heart just a little bit.
7. I've borrowed money from your piggy banks.
8. No, I don't know what I'm doing and sometimes that keeps me up at nights.
9. I know I seem mean when I have to punish you, but I hate to make you cry and it crushes me when you look at me like I'm a monster. Sometimes afterward I cry myself.
10. I so proud of all your accomplishments and the progress you make through the years, but I look at the world today and I wish I could just keep you little, innocent, and protected in our home forever.
11. I love being your mother, but, yes, there are times I fantasize about things such as taking a bath without getting walked in on, eating a hot meal, going somewhere without spending an hour getting everyone ready, sleeping in.
12. Some of the naughty things you do are actually quite funny. We may act angry, but later your daddy and I have a good laugh over it.
13. Even though I tell you to not pick food up off the floor, I've been known to drop your sandwich and pick it back up when you're not looking.
14. I sneak into your candy.
15. Tanner, when you got in trouble and sent to bed for taking the key to the deep freezer.....I found it in my purse the next day and never told you.
16. I could never give you up, but I do suspect that there are other mommies who would do a better job teaching you and raising you.
17. Sometimes I know you're breaking the rules, but I ignore it anyway because I don't want to deal with it.
18. I worry that you love your granparents more than me.
19. I think that all your personal faults are a direct result of innacuracies in my parenting.
20. I hate playing the toothfairy.
21. Even though I tell you to be nice and ignore bullies, deep down inside I want to make them cry the way they've made you cry.
22. Sometimes the "chicken" we eat for dinner is actually fish.
23. I hate homework every bit as much as you do.
24. There are times I longingly look at frilly dresses, bows, and the pink toy aisle in the store.
25. I try to teach you humility, but personally I think you're the best, most handsome, sweetest, most wonderful boys in the whole wide world.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! So funny and so true! And we actually call Salmon "Pink Chicken" at our house. Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with quite a few of those! I have been known to secretly "borrow" the money that the tooth fairy leaves at my house...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally rock. This is one of the best posts I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put...and so true. You are amazing, Shauna!

    ReplyDelete