Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Moonlight Half Marathon

Mike and I got to train for, and run, another race together. It was tons of fun! It was a little different than most races because the object was NOT to cross the finish line first, but to cross the finish line as close to midnight as you possibly could. So they didn't have any official timing devices, just a clock at the start and a clock at the end and you weren't allowed to bring personal timing devices. They bused us up to the start line and then you just left whenever you wanted to....no starting gun, no crowd to elbow through.....it was a nice change! The course was tougher than what I expected, there were a lot of hills, the first two miles up straight up the canyon....brutal! We had some cloud cover and light rain for most of the run so the weather was perfect, but there wasn't any moonlight to light up the canyon road at all and it was
DARK
I was actually pretty nervous about tripping over something or twisting my foot in a pot hole, I swear I couldn't see anything. It was pretty cool to see everyone lit up in their glow sticks and lights though, but I don't think it makes for a very good picture.



This is me crossing the finish line...... I finished in 2:14 and Mike finished in 1:58.....so no picture of the exact moment of his victory, I was still running. We stuck around for a little while after. They had food and we were starving! Here's our finishing medal.......


We were happy, but tired. I think we're getting too old to stay up that late. By the time we got home and got to bed it was past 2:00am.


1 comment:

  1. Love it Shauna! So great that Mike likes to run too...

    ReplyDelete