Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wayne's Obituary





Wayne Jay "Doug" Robinson


Gone Fishin'


On Friday April 16, 2010, a bright light in our lives dimmed, flickered and went out. Wayne Jay "Doug" Robinson, age 32, beloved son, brother, fiance, grandson and uncle passed away unexpectedly in Plain City, Utah. Wayne did not know how to do things half-way. Whether is was laying a course of bricks for the company he owned, out-fishing his dad and brothers while using a broken fishing pole, or turning a turkey (one that he had spent days hunting) into a lump of charcoal in his deep fryer, Wayne always did things whole heartedly. He loved the Utah Jazz, Kansas City Chiefs, and playing poker. He was happiest when he was on his old boat in Willard Bay, hoping it would not break down. Wayne loved people, especially kids, and he would do anything he could to ease your burdens. His needs were second to your needs. Wayne was admired and respected by many, but especially by his family. It is an understatement to say that Wayne had character. Wayne was born on November 22, 1977 in West Valley City to Bruce and Patricia Jones Robinson. He spent most of his growing up years in Ogden, Utah where he made many lifelong friends. He is survived by his father Bruce (Lynn) Robinson, his mother Patricia (Bill) Bond; his brothers, Don (Roni) Robinson, Jeff (Nicole) Robinson, Chris Hansen; and his sisters, Tonya Robinson, Shauna (Mike) Jarvis, Cherie (Tim) Anderson, Sandy Barson; his fiancee Sarah Sandberg and her two kids, Harlee and Traycin; his grandmother, Dona Rae Bennett and many nieces and nephews. A memorial will be held for Wayne on Thursday, April 22, 2010, 11 a.m. at the Dixie Drive LDS Ward Chapel, 6500 S. Dixie Drive (3655 W.), West Jordan, Utah.


My tribute to him to be read at the funeral tomorrow:
Wayne and I were only 14 months apart. We were so close in age that when we were young children we did everything together. He was always such a tease. When I was 8 years old I went down to live with my dad for a couple of years. My mom was always telling me that out of all my brothers and sisters my absence was the hardest on Wayne. While I was living in Salt Lake my mom got me a kitten which she kept up in Ogden with her. I would go and visit my family on the weekends and Wayne always had some outrageous story about some catastrophe that had befallen my cat during the week. His best one that we've all rememberd was "Shauna, I have some really bad news for you. We left your cat outside in the rain, she got all soaking wet and when the sun came back out......she evaporated!" (I think I probably punched him in the arm at this point) then he said "Don't worry, don't worry! It rained again and she precipitated back to us.....geez!"
As we got older and entered our teenage years, we fought ALL THE TIME. I didn't think we'd ever be close again, but luckily that changed in our adult years. Shortly after Mike and I were married we decided to drive to South Dakota on Labor Day weekend to visit Tonya. Wayne wanted to go with us so we decided that we would get in the car and drive all night, stay at Tonya's house for two days, and then drive all night on the way back. Wayne had a lead foot on that trip and he kept timing our travel. He was deterimined to "beat" our time on the return trip. On the drive home I happened to get really car sick. Wayne was driving and I was on the front seat next to him. I told him I thought we were going to have to pull over because I was going to throw up. After a short pause he leaned over and handed me a plastic zip-lock bag off of the floor and said "Nah, we're making really good time, we can't stop, it will ruin it, just throw up in that."
We loved going camping, boating and fishing with Wayne. He was always so funny and so sweet with my children. Wayne was such a people person. He loved his sweet heart, his friends, and his family. He was so protective of his sisters. I remember one time we were sitting on the porch, just the two of us. He turned to me and told me that if anyone EVER hurt me, Tonya or Cherie, in anyway at all we just had to tell him and Don and they'd get a bunch of their friends together to go "take care" of the situation. I like to think that he's still just as protective over us. He's now watching over and protecting his sisters every single day. We will always love him. He will always be my big brother and I can't wait until we meet with him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment