Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Santa: Fact or Fiction?

All of my boys still believe in Santa Claus. For the first time though we've had to do some explaining to Caeden. He's had a few questions that have almost tripped us up! His Papa plays Santa at Christmas time for ward parties, family, and neighbors. He hasn't came and visited the boys as Santa the last couple of years because we've been worried that they would recognize him and it would ruin the early childhood belief in Santa and the "magical" part of Christmas. Fast forward to our ward Christmas Party this year. I happen to be on the Activities Committe that is in charge of organizing and planning the festivities. We happened to desperately need a Santa. I happened to know one. What to do about Caeden and Tanner though? We had a Family Home Evening where we took great lengths to weave a story about how Santa needs helpers at Christmas time and he selects very special individuals who love children to fulfill a Secret Mission for Santa Claus and find out what boys and girls want for Christmas. Once they've gone out in disguise and fulfilled their duties they report to him. We told the boys that it was a HUGE and special secret that their Papa was picked as one of Santas Secret Service Agents and they weren't supposed to tell ANYBODY about it. Caeden was really getting into all of this.....he finally declared "I'll keep it the best secret EVER. I'll tell all of my friends......(dramatic pause)..... I don't even have a grandpa AT ALL." Um.......not quite what we were looking for. But everything seemed to go over pretty well. Tanner seems a little confused by it all, he really couldn't make up his mind if he was sitting on his Papa's lap or Santa Claus's lap.
Then yesterday SURPRISE! Caeden, Tanner, and Weston all got letters from Santa Claus with a postage stamp from the North Pole. They were so excited! We read them out loud at the end of our Family Home Evening. That night before bed Caeden asked me a question about Santa "Does Santa Claus really know everything that we do?" I told him that he did. He then asked "Does he always know if we've been good or naughty?" Once again I answered in the affirmative. Then he said "In my letter Santa Claus said he was proud of me for being a good boy at school, but I'm not good at school. I call all the girls names every day. So why did Santa say I was being good when I wasn't?" Well!!! Ha ha ha. I just stammered out something along the lines of Santa knew he was trying and hoped that he'd do better.
Whew! Only 2 more weeks to go and then all these Santa doubts can be stored away and dealt with next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment