Monday, June 7, 2010

Caeden-Bug


Caeden told me one night that he wanted to read Harry Potter. I knew why he wanted to read it. It didn't stem from love of literature, reading, or even a desire to know the story (I haven't let them watch the movie, too scary!). No, he wanted to read it because one of his friends was reading it. This friend is an older boy (gasp! he's already baptized, which in Caeden's world makes him an automatic beacon of wisdom and knowledge) and he knows all things Pokemon......this amazing combination of traits has caused Caeden to have a bit of hero-worship. So, in his world it's simple logic that if he's reading Harry Potter, Caeden therefore must read Harry Potter.
Not one to ever discourage my kids from reading I agreed to pick the book of from the library and we could read it together. Honestly, Caeden had never read a long chapter book that didn't have pictures, so I expected his interest to fizzle out within a couple of days. To my suprise he loved the book. In the beginning I would see him squirming and being fidgety. He would seem really distracted and not paying attention. Well. I didn't want to read the whole book outloud if he wasn't going to even listen to the story, so I would stop and ask him what had just happened. Never-fail he recited back to me exactly what was going on with the plot at that point. We read the entire 1st book of the series together and we've started on the second one. He has always loved being read to and it's fun for me to actually get to read a book together that's interesting for me as well.
My favorite part? He snuggles with me the whole time. Just for that alone I wish the series would go on forever.


Here he is with his 1st grade teacher. She really did an excellent job with the class this year and I'm happy that she's going to be following him through 2nd grade as well. And yes, despite the face he's pulling he really does like her, he said he wanted to have a pirate face.......?.....okay, whatever.
His end-of-year program.

He's growing up so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment